Friday 25 January 2019

Convenient

Convenient. I found this one hard tonight.

What does convenient mean to me? I mean, I do a lot of things that aren't so convenient. My work is full of them. As a school counsellor I can be called upon to see kids about all kinds of things. And it can be at pretty short notice. My email inbox is always full of requests to see someone, "this week if you could manage it" or "quite an urgent one really". I love the ones that ask me to "work your magic" on a kid. Believe me, my dear colleagues, if there was magic in play I wouldn't need to work!

To be totally honest, a lot of the urgent requests (or people who turn up at my door with crying kids) are not convenient. Yesterday for example I cancelled 4 appointments to deal with an urgent situations. That one really was urgent, a safeguarding issue, and those are never convenient. But they are important.

But life isn't always convenient. Those messages asking for help, the moments a child spills a drink, the shouts for help finding lost things, they may not be convenient. I would like to say I always try, but I'm not perfect. There are times I try to put myself first, but for my friends and loved ones, if it's not inconvenient, I will always try to help, so do ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment